The year-long whirlwind romance between the world’s most eligible bachelor George Clooney and high-profile human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin culminated in a dream wedding this past weekend in Venice, Italy. The nuptial details are still pouring in days after the day. Here are some highlights of the wedding events, which spanned four days in Venice.
1. The 36-year-old bride wore a custom-made Oscar de la Renta French lace wedding dress. Photographer Annie Leibowitz for Vogue magazine
2. George, 53, wore a Giorgio Armani bespoke tuxedo – a staple designer of Clooney’s signature style.
3. The couple exchanged vows in front of approximately 100 guests. The traditional 30 minute ceremony was presided over by the mayor of Rome, Walter Veltroni.
4. The couple held hands as they exchanged vows they had written themselves. The arch they stood under was made from hundreds of imported white roses. Talk about a bridal bouquet.
5. Amal’s mother Baria Alamuddin gushed about Clooney in her memorable speech: “I welcome the Clooney family into ours…George, we love you truly, deeply, and sincerely. We enjoy your charm, your wit, intelligent conversation and generosity. You are simply perfect.”
6. The wedding took place at Italy’s historic Aman Canal Grande Venice hotel, only accessible by water taxis. Which all the guests used. Talk about an entrance.
7. The five-course gourmet dinner consisted of lobster with lemon risotto, sea bass, and Chianina beef with porcini mushrooms. Can I take mine to go?
8. On Monday, September 29, George and Amal made a trip to Venice City Hall where they made their nuptials official. Amal was stunning in a custom white Stella McCartney suit with navy trim and hat; the groom wore a grey suit.
9. Guests were encouraged by the couple to not take any photographs on their cell phones. Instead, the photographs of the wedding weekend were sold exclusively to Hello! and People magazine and proceeds were donated to a human rights charity.
10. Celebrity guests included Bono, Matt Damon and his wife Luciana Barroso, Cindy Crawford and her husband, George’s best man Rande Gerber, John Krasinski and wife Emily Blunt (who were, coincidentally, married at George’s Italian villa in 2010), Vogue’s famed Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour, and Bill Murray.
Cindy Crowford and Husband Rande Gerber
Bono and Wife Ali Hew
Vogue’s Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour
While we wish we would have gotten an invite, the photos of this breath-taking (and quite stylish) wedding definitely wet our palette for a romance where it was least expected. Congratulazioni!
10 Things To Know About George Clooney’s Wedding