1. Apples are filled with soluble fiber (5 grams). This fiber has been shown to reduce intestinal disorders, including diverticulitis, hemorrhoids and possibly some types of cancer.
2. The apple fiber also helps control insulin levels by releasing sugar slowly into the bloodstream.
3. The fiber cleanses and detoxifies, which helps eliminate heavy metals, such as lead and mercury.
4. Apple pectin helps reduce cholesterol levels by lowering insulin secretion.
5. Apples provide a source of potassium which may promote heart health.
6. An apple has only 50-80 calories and has no fat or sodium
7. Finally, apples generally cost less and they are usually in good supply pretty much everywhere.
Fascinating facts about apple you may not know
1. The original proverb about eating an apple a day, which came about in 1866, was: “Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread.”
2. The largest apple weighed three pounds.
3. The apple tree is a member of the rose family.
4. When you eat an apple you are consuming a lot of air; 25 percent of their volume is air!
5. Apples have 5 percent protein.
6. It takes the energy from 50 leaves to produce one apple.
7. Apple trees can live to be 100 years old!
8. There are more than 7,500 varieties of apples.
Learn more on the apple report from www.mnn.com
An apple a day keeps a doctor away